MAINTAINING YOUR DECKING
Time and effort has been invested into your timber decking, so it’s a given you’ll want it to be in its best condition – the maintenance is quite simple and fairly cost-effective.
In order for your timber decking to remain clean and bright, clean it twice a year (preferably spring, ready for summer and autumn, ready for winter) with decking cleaner to remove mould, moss, grease, algae and general dirt.
- Remove any loose or large accumulations of moss and/or algae with a hard bristled broom and proceed to remove the loose debris from the decking.
- Prepare the cleaner as advised by the instructions and apply using a brush, sprayer or watering can with a rose.
- Immediately scrub the surface thoroughly with a stiff bristled broom to work the cleaner, allow to stand.
- Rinse with a hose, using clean water, making sure any residue is eradicated.
- Leave to dry for roughly two days prior to applying a protective coat.
If your decking seems a bit dull and grey, a decking restorer will help it return to its original colour.
Safety & tips: You will be using a pressure washer, ensure your eyes are protected with safety goggles; when using the restorer, work on small areas at a time, scrubbing and rinsing those areas within fifteen minutes.
- Similar to cleaning, you will be using a hard bristled broom to remove any loose debris, however the pressure washer should be used to remove any moss, mould and algae.
- Prior to putting the restorer down, make sure your decking is free of any former protector and stains.
- Use a broom to apply the restorer and immediately work it into the surface of your decking with a scrubbing pad or stiff broom.
- Finish by rinsing and allowing two days before applying a protective coat.
It’s vital to keep your timber decking protected and doing so once a year in order to keep it in its best condition.
Decking protector will absorb into the wood of your decking, water-proofing it and protecting it – there won’t be a change in colour either as the solution is translucent.
Decking stains come in a variety of colours; these weatherproof and protect your decking along with leaving behind a semi-opaque finish.
Decking oils will penetrate the wood of your decking, replacing its natural oils and protecting it; there will be a subtle colour left behind for the purpose of natural beauty enhancement.